Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Name

My name is simple.  It isn't a strange name with a good story behind it, or even an ethnic name that could be used as a conversation starter.  It tells little about me; what kind of personality I have, what kind of foods I like, and it certainly does not tell people where I have been or where I am going.  I would like my name to become a title, a way for people to understand who I am not just what I am called. If my name was a title I imagine it would be long, filled with difficult words but also easy going in certain parts. Everyone would have their own title, allowing other people to understand each other completely.  The world would be a more truthful place.
I feel that my name just does not give me enough justice when it comes to things I have experienced.  A name like Nathan is pretty boring and when it comes to introducing my self I really would like more flavor to my name.  A name is something the owner should be proud of, something that really shows everyone around you all the travels and journeys from your past.  Likewise if you are not a good person, you should not have a grand name.  I believe names help start a new relationship, and with a name that tells a life story, it makes making friends that much easier.  My name is simple, but I wish it wasn't.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nathan,
    I'm wondering if you've asked your parents why they named you Nathan. With a little internet research you can find out some pretty interesting things about your name. Check it out on Wikipedia. What name would you choose if your name wasn't Nathan? Note that in "My Name" Sandra Cisneros imagines a new name. Feel free to dream here. I've got to disagree with your statement that it's not an ethnic name. Ethnic is relative. Every name, every language has cultural roots. Nathan comes from the Hebrew meaning gift and has been adopted in English-speaking countries. I wonder what else you will discover about yourself in this course;-)

    ReplyDelete